Thursday, February 12, 2015

Whole30 Week 1

My friends and I just embarked on a Whole30 for the month of February (plus a few days).  For those who don't know, a Whole30 is 30 days of super clean eating: it emphasizes grass fed meats and organic veggies and fruit, and eliminates sugar, grains, alcohol, corn, legumes, soy, and sulfites from your diet.  It is the invention of the Whole9 company, run by a married couple.  The goal of the Whole 30 is not to lose weight per se, but to figure out any food sensitivities and repair your broken relationship with food.  They encourage journaling to deal with your cravings and issues, so here we go...

Day 1: We went on a big Whole Foods Whole 30 shopping trip, and the big cheese stand made me miss cheese already

Day 2: At church, the pastor literally ate my favorite ice cream in front of the whole church.  That was brutal.  The Super Bowl was that Sunday too, but I wasn't too tempted at that because my friends that are doing it with me all made snacks.  I was very tired toward the end of the day, which was to be expected at this point in the program.  You're supposed to be detoxing from the sugar and carbs, so your body has to adjust to that.

Day 3: This was my first day back at work, which definitely was harder cravings-wise.  It made me realize how much I snack on unhealthy choices, particularly when I put my hands in my coat pocket and found change in the pockets.  Normal, until I started counting it to see what I could buy from the vending machine with it.  My stomach also felt pretty icky (a technical term), which they said is normal at this stage.

Day 4: I didn't snack at all today, which is astounding to me.  I felt a little bloated at the end of work though, not sure if that's the detoxing or something else.

Day 5: Today was fairly neutral.  I had to fast until 10:30 for a blood test as part of the wellness program at work, so that made me pretty cranky, but had nothing to do with the Whole 30. I started craving chocolate toward the end of the day, but not so much so that I couldn't ignore it and go on.  My stomach was a little icky, but sad to say, that's a pretty normal state to me.  I realized I was probably eating an insane amount of olive oil each day, so when I made eggs for dinner (since I didn't eat any for breakfast), I used ghee in the pan instead of evoo. Such exciting developments.

Day 6: So. Sleepy.

Day 7: I had to stop listening to NPR's Planet Money because it was on cocoa production, and started describing the taste of good chocolate versus bad chocolate. Torture.

Recipe of the Week:
Bacon-wrapped pineapple

TL;DR: wrap bacon around pineapple and cook it. This is what I took to the Super Bowl party (with Scott's help), and we ate it again later, it was good, yet easy to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment