Sunday, May 11, 2014

Spring Break, or Something Like That

The worst part about full-time employment is the lack of regular breaks, like summer or spring break.  The best part is having the resources to buy trips, particularly now that my friends are spread around the country.  The even better way to do this is to buy other things, get points from those things, then get the trips for free.  Thus, how I went to Orlando for practically nothing.

I am a very brand loyal person.  It takes a lot for me to switch coffee places or clothing stores, once I've found something I like.  This makes for great points-earning situations.  I got two credit cards recently: one for Marriott, and one for US Air.  For the US Air, I waited until a deal was offered on a flight, because usually these deals offer more miles in a smaller amount of time (as long as I used the credit card for most of my purchases within that time period). The card not only earns points more quickly, but also makes redeeming the points easier, since award travel requires fewer points for card members.  It also comes with a $99 companion ticket once a year.

I think I also got a deal from Marriott, but just in the mail.  We frequently stayed at Marriott hotels growing up, because my parents are Platinum there, and that means the incredible club level experience.  This usually means breakfast, appetizers, dessert, drinks all day (mostly diet coke), and free internet/computers.  By getting the credit card, I automatically got silver status, and a certain amount of points as well.  Silver only offers a few perks, but the card also makes it easier to get to gold.  Plus, the card comes with a free night voucher.

So with these credit cards, I earned some major points right off the bat.  I used the US Air points for my flight and only had to pay $35 for a round-trip to Orlando.  I used the Marriott points for a weekend stay at a hotel very close to Universal studios.  My friend and I went to Islands of Adventure, including the new Wizarding World of Harry Potter.  It was so much fun, and I am looking forward to returning when they expand the Harry Potter section this summer. I would suggest drinking a butterbeer (despite the name, non-alcholic) but I heard there may be gluten in the frozen topping, so be wary.  For dinner, we ate at Antojitos, the mexican restaurant at city walk.  It was delicious and they knew their stuff when it came to gluten free. 

The next day we did some damage at the outlet stores.  For consistency, I spent the most money at Ann Taylor, my favorite clothing store of them all.  I told you, very brand loyal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment