Thursday, August 28, 2014

Philadelphia Update

Monday will mark my one year anniversary of living in Philadelphia.  I love being in a city where there is always something going on within walking distance! Here are some of my favorite spots in this great city, as well as some things still on my to-do list:

Favorite restaurant: Audrey Claire - I have loved this BYO spot since my first time eating there, on a callback interview.  The food is very veggie-heavy, with lots of gluten-free options.  It is delicious without making me feel gross after.  Plus, the outdoor seating options and location are ideal.  Most nights that we go out to eat, Audrey Claire is on the short list of options.

Favorite bar: The Bards -- this Irish bar has that great neighborhood feel: a good selection of drinks without too much frill.  It feels like everyone knows your name, but it would be too much pandering for them to admit it

Favorite group activity: Johnny Goodtimes Trivia --this is related to the above entry.  Johnny does eight quizzes a week, one at the Bards, plus some special events.  I find that the questions are difficult but not impossible.  S and I will sometimes even go alone and give it a shot.

Favorite occasional date night: Paint Nite -- whether you are great or terrible at artistic endeavors, Paint Nite is a fun way to express your creative side.  It bounces around the city in various bars, and a teacher leads you in painting a certain piece.  There is step-by-step instruction, but participants can also make their own adjustments.  The first time we did it, I tried to do exactly what the instructor did but that stressed me out a little too much, so the next two times I added my own creative twists.

Favorite delivery place: Kermit's -- not only does Kermit's makes a great gluten-free pizza, it usually has gluten-free French macarons which are amazing.  It is located south of South street, so it will deliver to Scott's apartment.

Favorite gf bakery: Sweet Freedom -- we discovered this gem when Scott was a summer associate in Philly and I loved it then, now, and always.  I am still convinced the employees bake magic into their cupcakes, because the long list of ingredients that aren't in their goodies includes everything that usually makes baked goods so....good.  Yet even without these things, everything there is incredibly delicious.


Philadelphia bucket list:
 1. Finish the 50 best bars in Philadelphia -- we have a group of friends that are trying to complete the list of bars in a year from the list's publication.  We are about 30 bars in so far, so I cannot wait to hit the rest!
2. Try some more new restaurants -- I feel like we like certain restaurants so much that we are reluctant to go outside the box and try new ones.  In year two, I want to try more new ones! Restaurant week is coming up, so we will hopefully experience some new places then.
3. Go to more outside/special events -- there were some pop up beer gardens and events outside this summer that I did not hit this summer, partially because I traveled so much and partially because I was reluctant to miss out on the tried and true options.  Next year, I want to keep a closer eye on these things and make a bigger effort to attend them.

What are your favorite places in your city? What's still on your bucket list?

No comments:

Post a Comment