Saturday, September 10, 2011

Three, Three, Three Posts in One: Snoozing in the City That Never Sleeps

My final escapade of this week was to my favorite city of all, New York City.

I only had a short turnaround (1030 pm one day to 5 pm the next) so not only was I exhausted, I was finding it difficult to get everything done (two classes included) and packed back up.  As a result, I was sprinting to the airport at 4:45 for my 5:15 flight.  As I'm running into the airport, the kiosk won't let me check in so I asked the guy at the counter help.  He was around the slowest typist I've ever seen and as I'm tapping my foot in nervousness, the guy next to me asks if I'm headed to LaGuardia.  I had told the USAIR rep I was on the 5:15 flight, and this was the only flight at that time (Charlottesville is tres petite) so I assumed he knew that I meant that flight but when I answered in the positive to the fellow traveller, the counter guy looked surprised.  There's no telling how high my blood pressure got when he said "oh really? oh. ok"  He then said the flight wasn't leaving until 5:45 or 6 but the screen still said it was on time so my anxiety had not lessened much.

Then security stopped me for a while because my ID no longer looks much like me.  I had long blonde hair and contacts then, and I was wearing my glasses along with my short brown hair so two people were required to ensure that it was me.  Major panic at this point, but I made it to the gate right before they started boarding.  At this point, after traveling extensively for most of my life, but particularly the last few weeks, my luggage is easily taken apart to minimize my time at x-rays.  As I got to the gate, I realized about half of the plane had to be UVA folk, particularly from Section A (for whom Scott was a PA) and my good friend Esther.  So it was nice to catch up on the plane, the only form of socializing many of us will do in the next few weeks.

I checked into my hotel at the Hilton Times Square, after sharing a cab with a fellow Wahoo who was also interviewing with redacted firm but staying at a different hotel.  Fashion Week and the US Open were all in NYC at that time so accommodations were hard to come by. I grabbed dinner at a deli nearby and met my friend Carly from undergrad who is living and working in the city.  Since that night was Fashion's Night Out, many of the stores were open late and if we had gone up 5th a bit further we could have met a few celebs.  Alas, my hotel was between 7th and 8th and even the part of 5th that we made it to was not the busy section so we had no Bieber or Glee cast sightings.  Maybe next time :)

The callback itself was at 2 the next afternoon so for once I got to sleep in.  I found it ironic that in the center of Times Square, I slept in later than I had in probably a month.  The heavy curtains served me well in that hotel room.  My hotel was literally next door to Madame Tussaud's and nearby to the theaters of the Mary Poppins and Spiderman musicals.

When I was leaving for the interview, I was a bit concerned that the "credible terrorist threats"would delay me either in the interview or on the plane so close to the 10th anniversary of 9/11 but they didn't seem to bother much (I was in walking distance of the firm).  It was interesting to me how legitimate businesses were in the height of touristy Times Square.  It really reminded me of the song 42nd street from the same-named Broadway show.  Where the Underworld can meet the Elite, 42nd Street.

I have been interested in Firm for some time now, having done research on them (a big redacted practice area firm) and they did not disappoint.  I was expecting, and definitely got, some questions making sure I knew there was actual law involved in so-called practice area (not actually a practice area, just denotes the kind of clients involved) but I am still incredibly excited to hear back from them.  While I was in the recruiter's office, her phone rang canceling the recruiting committee meeting for that night, but that means my thank you notes (a Southern girl requirement) will get to the firm before they make a decision about me.  I am not letting it upset me that I know friends with offers, because my firms have been on different timelines, but I keep having to tell myself that so I won't freak out!

The flight back was equally inundated with UVA future lawyers, including some new ones, like my teammate from the NOLA baseball competition, Denise, a dear sectionmate, Galen, and Scott's roommate's ladyfriend. It makes for a relaxing flight, even with delays and extra security, when you are surrounded by people you know.  One particularly humorous 2L was cracking jokes when we had to sit on the tarmac for a while, like suggesting we play I SPY while we wait.  It is always nice to defuse stressful situations with people you know and love :)

Pictures from my hotel window:






No comments:

Post a Comment