Saturday, September 10, 2011

Three, Three, Three Posts in One: Philadelphia

After getting back from Alexandria on Monday, I almost immediately turned around and flew to Philadelphia (after an awkward video conference with redacted firm in NC, home of well-known sports personality). I had an interview with redacted firm (former firm of person I know) on Wednesday.  I really enjoyed meeting everyone there. It is a top-ranked redacted practice area firm, which is what I'm looking for overall so I am looking forward to hearing back from them.

While there I stayed at the Palomar, part of the Kimpton hotel chain, which was nice, but a little too modern for me. Here is a sampling of the artwork in the hotel:
 Ben obviously cheered for the Phils
All the elevators were made to look like fireplaces and this one had a lovely lady with a mustache 
 This one was located near the restaurant where I ate breakfast, which I would have enjoyed a lot more if it weren't for the French techno blaring the whole time
The outline of this was all words, then the "my, she was yar" ending. So confusing.

After my interview and lunch at Matyson with some associations (I'd recommend the mussels), I again decided to tour around Philly some.

I had wanted to tour city hall last time, since the Phlash tour had advertised it. However, the room to sign up for the tours was very hidden so I spent a lot of time walking through the courtyard of city hall a lot trying to figure things out. Another PSA: Philly City Hall Courtyard has a distinct smell that someone recently urinated there. Ick. I did eventually figure out the tour, but I had an hour until the tower tour began so I went to Reading Terminal Market, which was recommended by two of my interviewers.  When I got back, I couldn't find the door they told me to go in, of course! So I was late but luckily the elevator man took pity on me.  I was with a group of native Pennsylvanians and some French friends of theirs that were visiting.  I desperately tried to understand what they were saying on the rides up and down but all I understood was when they let me off the elevator. The man said "apres vous" (after you, a phrase my mom utilizes frequently) so I at least got to respond with a nice "merci" but that was the extent to which I practiced my French.  I determined that the next road trip I have (a callback to Raleigh), I will find some French tapes to practice :)

The tour took us up to the very top of the tower of city hall, which is high above Philadelphia and right in the center so it was fun to see all around and try to find places I had been. Some scenes from the top:
 The exhibit talking about city hall showed the disparity between opinions of the building. This one calls it "perhaps the greatest single effort of late 19th century American architecture"...
 And this one calls it "an ugly monstrosity" and "the most disreputable and direspected building in Philadelphia"


 Leading up to the Philly Museum of Art


 Gazing up to William Penn, the statue at the top of city hall

 Various game pieces decorate this square

Part of city hall's outside

On my way back down the elevator to the bottom, I saw this scene (stairs of city hall), which was frequently shown on the show Philly as a hub of activity, but definitely saw less action the day I was there. (You mean everything isn't exactly as seen on TV?!)


No comments:

Post a Comment