Sunday, October 23, 2011

Fall Breaking

Right as life was beginning to settle down around Charlottesville and I was getting (mostly) caught up on my classes, I decided to shake it up once again and head back to the Big Apple for the ABA Conference on Sports and Entertainment Law. A day and a half of talks about bankruptcy, antitrust, and financing in relation to S/E clients and networking with people in the biz, it was a dream for a sports gunner like me.  I particularly enjoyed the antitrust talk, as this is a major interest of mine, and my VSLS president and I asked some of the speakers on the panel to attend the symposium we are co-planning with VASE in March.  I also met some Philadelphia lawyers, which will be helpful, since I have now accepted a job there for next year (!!!).

I stayed with my college friend Carly on the Upper East Side and we were able to go out on Friday night.  We started at the stumble inn but ended up at the Brother Jimmy's near her apartment for most of the night. Brother Jimmy's is the chain of restaurants/bars in New York City and Florida (and one to come in Puerto Rico?) owned by a couple of southerners, one a Miami grad and one a UNC grad.  They have mainly ACC/Southern/North Carolina decor and are frequent hotspots for the Carolina Club in NYC. It was funny that we spent the majority of the evening there since our plans for the next day were to watch the Carolina-Miami game at a different Brother Jimmy's, near Madison Square Garden. Although we lost, it was fun to be surrounded by Carolina blue in the big city, there were even other alums that I knew there! Lessons learned: Brother Jimmys is awesome, and Carly basically knows everyone in the whole city.

I hopped on the Bieber bus from there to head to Allentown for the rest of break.  Scott's parents generously agreed to host me since a plane ticket home just didn't seem logical.  We spent the weekend playing games and trying to continue catching up on homework. It was so nice to have home cooked meals and get away from Charlottesville for a few more days. PS, if you're ever in Allentown, try White Orchids, the thai place there. It's amazing.

Coming soon: my explanation of the Tebow pile (EDIT: this never happened).

No comments:

Post a Comment