Sunday, October 2, 2011

San Diego - Day Three

The last day (not counting the early Monday flight) of the trip involved the final round of the competition, for the two highest scoring competitors and a sports law symposium.  I did not attend the final round, in favor of getting some school work done, but I should have considering my fellow Tar Heel Ty Lawson was one of the players in the mock NBA trade.

I did attend the sports law symposium, however, which I found to be interesting.  The first panel was about breaking into the business of representing athletes and the second on NCAA violations.  For the record, I firmly believe that the "integrity of amateurism" is a vastly overused phrase that means very little these days.  More opinions on that should be a separate post, if I feel like organizing my thoughts on the topic.

After the symposium, I had the whole day to myself considering my teammate was holed up working on a moot court brief. I really was craving an in-n-out burger since I dont have many opportunities to hit the West Coast, but I didn't feel like paying for a cab so I decided to walk there and see the town on the way.  I should have thought to leave a bit earlier than I did since it was approaching darkness when I got the restaurant but my iPhone helped me find a trolley to take back to the gas-lamp district where I was staying.  (In the Hotel Indigo, a very modern but quite nice hotel, a Kimpton property, like the Palomar in Philadelphia).  By the way, in-n-out's fries greatly disappointed me, but the burger was just what I needed after the hike I had made.  I snapped quite a few pictures of the buildings in San Diego, I'm a big fan of the architecture style there:


















Our flight the next morning was a killer 630 am flight, which meant I met my teammate downstairs at 430! Luckily I think I never adjusted to West Coast time, so it wasn't toooo painful but not exactly what I wanted to be doing at that hour.  Instead of being productive on the flight, I decided that watching a movie on-board and playing trivia would be a much better use of my time...at least I won a few times!

No comments:

Post a Comment